Catch up on our Summit sessions which delved into a variety of topics including sustainable farming and agricultural innovation, future food trends, approaches to food production and food waste.
09:00 – 10:00 (UK – GMT) / 13:00 – 14:00 (UAE – GST)
THE IMPORTANCE OF DELIVERING SUSTAINABILITY AND FOOD SECURITY
Keynote: Ananda Guha, Deputy Director, Agri-Food Chain / Food Exports, Promotion and Partnerships, DEFRA
Chair: Professor Tim Benton, Research Director – Emerging Risks, and Director – Environment and Society Programme and Research professor at the University of Leeds
- Professor Chris Elliott OBE, Professor of Food Safety, Founder of the Institute for Global Food Safety, Queen’s University, Belfast
- Professor David Lloyd, Director, ZERO2FIVE Food Industry Centre, Cardiff Metropolitan University
- Dr Dave Hughes, Head of Technology Identification and Evaluation, Syngenta
- Dr Roberta Re, Food & Drink Investment Specialist, Department for International Trade
This opening session set the context of the key global challenges we need to address to ensure our food security in the years ahead, notably: a growing population, mass migration to cities, resources becoming more scarce, stress on water supplies, climate change altering what the land is capable of supplying, the importance of safeguarding our biodiversity on which we depend and reducing food waste.
10:30 – 11:30 (UK – GMT) / 14:30 – 15:30 (UAE – GST)
changing the way we grow, how and when
Chair: David Farquhar, CEO, IGS Limited
- Dan Watson, Co-Founder and CEO, SafetyNet Technologies Ltd
- Lyndsay Chapman, CEO, Centre for Innovation Excellence in Livestock (CIEL)
- Professor Simon Pearson, Director of LIAT/Professor of Agri-Food Technology - University of Lincoln Robotics Department
This session highlighted key examples of how we can harness technology, science and genetics to create new approaches to agricultural and fisheries production.
12:00 – 13:00 (UK – GMT) / 16:00 – 17:00 (UAE – GST)
how to feed the world without destroying the planet
Chair: Professor Gideon Henderson, Chief Scientific Officer, DEFRA
- Ben Scott-Robinson, CEO and Co-Founder, The Small Robot Company
- Professor Grant D Stentiford, Healthy Seafood Theme Lead, and Head of OIE Collaborating Centre for Emerging Aquatic Animal Diseases at The Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science (Cefas) - Director of the Centre for Sustainable Aquaculture Futures at the University of Exeter
- Professor Michel Kaiser, Chief Scientist, Heriot-Watt University
- Tashia Tucker, CEO & Founder at Olombria (Royal College of Art)
This session explored how we can produce more or better, at the same time minimising our impact on the environment, biodiversity and the health of our soil.
13:30 – 14:30 (UK – GMT) / 17:30 – 18:30 (UAE – GST)
Chair: Allan Wilkinson, Head of Agri-food, HSBC
- Ignacio Ramirez, Global Head of Operations, Managing Director MENA, Winnow Solutions
- Ibrahim N. Al-Zu'bi, Chief Sustainability Officer, Majid Al Futtaim Holding (MAF)
- Robin Sampson, Founder, Trade in Space
- Woody Foster, Chamber of Commerce Past President, Cayman Islands
This session explored approaches to minimising losses of valuable food production post-harvest and throughout the food supply chain.