Call for applications
The 2021 RISK Award is looking for project proposals in the field of nature-based DRR solutions that also highlight the importance of social and economic stability. We are convinced that nature- and ecosystem-based solutions can provide positive impetus for reducing disaster risk as well as for achieving sustainable development. These solutions can also make a significant contribution to addressing challenges related to the climate emergency. In this sense, the 2021 RISK Award reflects a combined approach from three major UN frameworks, namely the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction (2015-2030), the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Paris Agreement on Climate Change 2015. Project proposals may include all kinds of ecosystems, be it forests, wetlands, coastal areas, drylands, mountain ecosystems and many more. We are looking forward to receiving your ideas. Detailed guidelines can be found below.
About the RISK Award
The risks posed by population development, environmental and climate change are increasing. Complex technical systems and infrastructure are additional risk factors. The RISK Award partners recognise the need to address this development. The RISK Award has been set up to help improve risk reduction and disaster management by providing financial support to projects dedicated to these issues.
Award endowment - Funding
The RISK Award is endowed with 100,000 €. This means that we can contribute to your project with a maximum of 100,000 €. However, we also understand that there are many initiatives that are larger. In this case, please write in your application what the volume of your overall project is and where the other required financial resources will come from.
Guidelines for Application
Dates and deadlines:
- 13 October 2020: Announcement of the 2021 RISK Award topic
- 13 October - 14 December 2020 (23:00 CET): Application phase
- 01 April 2021: Individual notification of application status
- May 2021: 2021 RISK Award ceremony
- The proposal must address the specific annual RISK Award topic
- The project must be non-profit. Business development is not possible to be supported by the RISK Award.
- The proposed project must include an implementation part (action), a proposal solely based on research is not sufficient.
- The risks must be related to natural, climate change and or/environmental issues.
- Risks due to social turmoil, war, chemical disasters, and/or political crises cannot be funded.
- We appreciate ideas to involve the people at risk (people centred approaches).
- We appreciate proposals which combine bottom-up approaches with top-down frameworks.
- We encourage project teams which are engaged in multi-stakeholder partnerships (different sectors, different sizes, different organisational background, PPPs).
How to apply
- Click on "Login" and create a new user account by choosing "New user? Click here".
- Click on "Submissions" in the navigation bar and on "Add new submission" to upload your application.
- Click on "Save & submit" once your application is complete; as long as the application phase is running, you will be able to alter it afterwards.
- If you wish to continue at a later stage, just click on "Save and submit later".